Tuesday, July 13, 2010

New Development in San Mateo

Last night the City Council voted 5-0 to approve development of the land at the corners of Concar Drive and South Delaware Street adjacent to Highways 92 and 101.  The land, currently occupied by the old Denny's and a bowling alley converted to the Telecenter appliance store, was long overdue for a face-lift.

In making my decision to approve the project, I wanted to thank the countless hours given to me by neighborhood groups, individual citizens, and City staff in providing me with information about this project.  While I agree with residents that the new development will result in increased traffic in the area, I believe that any increase in traffic will be mitigated by Traffic Demand Management protocols put in place to regulate traffic from the development.  Additionally, I believe the long-term benefits to our City in terms of increased use of transit-oriented growth, an increasing business base, and beautifying a section of our City that is falling into decay more than justify this project.

Thank you again to everyone who was involved in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment